462 Hollister Hall
School of Civil and Environmental Engineering
o Postdoctoral Research Associate, School of Civil and Environmental Engineering, College of Engineering, Cornell University. 2008-
Visiting Lecturer, Department of Applied
o Research Associate, Institute of Applied & Computational Mathematics, Foundation for Research and Technology-Hellas. 2002-2008.
o Ph.d. in Mathematical Finance/Economics (2007), Department of Economics, University of Crete.
o M.Sc. in Statistics (2000), Department of Statistics, Athens University of Economics and Business (Joint program with K.U. Leuven, Belgium).
o B.Sc. in Mathematics (1998), Department of Mathematics, University of Crete.
o ERCIM Postdoctoral Fellowship in the memory of Alain Bensoussan, 2008.
Scholarship, Regional Economics Applications Lab,
o Postgraduate Scholarship, Regional Analysis Division, Institute of Applied & Computational Mathematics, Foundation for Research and Technology. 1999-2001.
o Erasmus Postgraduate Scholarship, February-June 1999.
o Undergraduate Scholarship, Regional Analysis Division, Institute of Applied & Computational Mathematics, Foundation for Research and Technology-Hellas, January-June 1998.
o Ph.d. Thesis: “Stochastic Impulse Control with Discounted and Ergodic Optimization Criteria: Applications in Economics and Finance”. Supervisor: Prof. A. Xepapadeas.
o M.Sc. Thesis: “Numerical Schemes for Stochastic Differential Equations”. Supervisor: Prof. N. Frangos.
o B.Sc. Thesis: “Time Series Analysis and Applications to Economic Forecasting”. Supervisor: P. Prastacos.
ARTICLES PUBLISHED IN REFEREED JOURNALS
[Total number of citations in bold, self citations in parentheses; Source: GoogleScholar]
1. Y. Kamarianakis and H.O. Gao (2009) Accounting for exhaust gas transport dynamics in instantaneous emission models via smooth transition regression. Environmental Science & Technology, accepted to appear.
2. J. Le Gallo and Y. Kamarianakis (2009) The evolution of regional productivity disparities in the European Union from 1975 to 2002: A combination of shift-share and spatial econometrics. Regional Studies, accepted to appear.
3. Y. Kamarianakis, H.O. Gao and P. Prastacos (2009) Characterizing regimes in daily cycles of urban traffic using smooth transition regressions. Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies, forthcoming, doi:10.1016/j.trc.2009.11.001.
5. E. Georgakarakos, C. Ioannou, T. Kostas, A.N. Katsamouris and Y. Kamarianakis (2009) Regarding “Impact of calcification and intraluminal thrombus on the computed wall stresses of abdominal aortic aneurysm”. Journal of Vascular Surgery, 50, 474.
6. H. Feidas, G. Kokolatos, A.J. Negri, M. Manyin, N. Chrysoulakis and Y. Kamarianakis (2009) A validation of an infrared-based satellite algorithm to estimate accumulated rainfall over the Mediterranean basin. Theoretical and Applied Climatology, 95, 91-109. [1 (1)]
Y. Kamarianakis, H. Feidas, G. Kokolatos,
8. N. Chrysoulakis, Y. Kamarianakis, L. Xu, Z. Mitraka and J. Ding (2008) Combined use of MODIS, AVHRR and radiosonde data for the estimation of spatio-temporal distribution of Precipitable Water. Journal of Geophysical Research, 113, D05101, doi: 10.1029/2007JD009265
9. A. Loui, E. Tsalikaki, K. Maier, E. Walch, Y. Kamarianakis and M. Obladen (2008) Growth in high risk infants<1500 g birthweight during the first 5 weeks. Early Human Development, 84, 645-650. [1 (0)]
A. Ben Salah, Y. Kamarianakis, S. Chlif, P.
Prastacos and N. Ben Alaya (2007) Zoonotic Cutaneous Leishmaniasis in
11. Y. Kamarianakis, A. Kanas and P. Prastacos. (2005) Modeling traffic flow volatility dynamics in an urban network. Transportation Research Record-Journal of the Transportation Research Board, No. 1923, 18-27. [6 (1)]
12. S. Dall’erba, Y. Kamarianakis, J. Le Gallo and M. Plotnikova (2005) Regional productivity differentials in three new member countries. What can we learn from the 1986 enlargement to the south? The Review of Regional Studies, 2005, 35, 97-116. [3 (0)]
13. Y. Kamarianakis and P. Prastacos (2005) Space-time modeling of traffic flow. Computers & Geosciences, 31, 119-133. [25 (6)]
14. Y. Kamarianakis and D. Kontos (2004) Classification of Greek municipalities according to their socioeconomic characteristics (In Greek). Aeihoros, 3, 154-170. [1 (0)]
15. J. Le Gallo, S. Dall'erba, Y. Kamarianakis and M. Plotnikova (2003) Les différentiels de productivité régionale dans les pays en transition par rapport à la moyenne européenne : le cas de la Pologne, de la Hongrie et de la République Tchèque. Région et Développement, n°2003-18, 111-129. [3 (0)]
16. Y. Kamarianakis and P. Prastacos. (2003) Forecasting traffic flow conditions in an urban network: Comparison of multivariate and univariate approaches. Transportation Research Record-Journal of the Transportation Research Board, No. 1857, 74-84. [18 (2)]
ARTICLES PUBLISHED IN BOOKS AND COLLECTIVE VOLUMES
18. Y. Kamarianakis and P. Prastacos (2005) Classification of Greek Municipalities: An application of multivariate statistics to census data (In Greek). In B. Kotzamanis and V. Pappas (eds), Space and Population: Analytic approaches, University of Thessaly Press, 241-252. [2 (1)]
19. P. Prastacos and Y. Kamarianakis (2007) Statistical models for urban traveler information and traffic management systems. ERCIM NEWS, 68, 32-33.
20. Y. Kamarianakis (2003) Spatial time series modeling: A review of the proposed methodologies. Regional Economics Applications Lab Technical Series, University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana, REAL 03-T-19. [4 (1)]
21. Y. Kamarianakis (2003) A hierarchical Bayesian approach for spatial time series modeling. Regional Economics Applications Lab Technical Series, University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana, REAL 03-T-15. [1 (0)]
22. Y. Kamarianakis and J. Le Gallo (2003) The evolution of regional productivity disparities in the E.U., 1975-2000. Cahiers du GRES 2003-15. [7 (1)]
24. Y. Kamarianakis (2009) Controlling the risky fraction process with an ergodic criterion.
25. Y. Kamarianakis (2009) Stochastic impulse control with ergodic and discounted optimization criteria: An application to the control of risky holdings.
26. Y. Kamarianakis and H.O. Gao (2009) Diesel ultrafine/fine particle emissions in numbers: Statistical modeling and evaluation of engine operating variables.
27. N. Chrysoulakis, M. Abrams, Y. Kamarianakis and M. Stanislawski (2009) Validation of the ASTER derived Global DEM product (GDEM) for the area of Greece.
1. E. Georgakarakos, Y. Kamarianakis, C. Ioannou, Y. Papaharilaou and A. Katsamouris (2009) The reducing effect of intraluminal thrombus on wall stress in abdominal aortic aneurisms can be influenced by geometric factors. 58th International Congress of the European Society for CardioVascular Surgery. Warsaw, Poland, May 2009.
2. E. Flouri, N. Chrysoulakis, D.A. Mitsoudis, Y. Kamarianakis, S. Foteinis, E. Okal and C. Synolakis (2009) Tsunami hazard assessment in the eastern Aegean sea. European Geosciences Union General Assembly, Vienna, Austria, April 2009.
3. Y. Kamarianakis and P. Prastacos (2008) Characterizing regimes in daily cycles of urban traffic using smooth transition autoregressive models. 10th International Conference on Application of Advanced Technologies in Transportation. Athens, Greece, May 2008.
4. Z. Mitraka, N. Chrysoulakis and Y. Kamarianakis (2008) Estimation of the spatio-temporal distribution of precipitable water using satellite and radiosonde data. 9th International Conference on Meteorology, Climatology and Environmental Physics. Thessaloniki, Greece, May 2008.
Kamarianakis, A. Ben Salah,
Kamarianakis, A. Ben Salah,
Y. Kamarianakis, N. Chrysoulakis, H. Feidas and G.
Kokolatos (2006) Comparing rainfall estimates derived from rain gages and
satellite images at the eastern Mediterranean region. Proceedings of the
9th AGILE International Conference on Geographic
8. Y. Kamarianakis and P. Prastacos (2005) Spatial time series modeling: An overview of the proposed methodologies. In Toppen, F. and Painho, M., (eds) Proceedings of the 8th AGILE Conference on Geographic Information Science, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Lisboa, Portugal, 167-176.
9. N. Chrysoulakis, Y. Kamarianakis, Y. Farsari, M. Diamandakis and P. Prastacos (2004) Combining satellite and socioeconomic data for land-use models estimation. Proceedings of the EarSel conference. Cairo, Egypt, September 2004. [1 (0)]
10. Y. Kamarianakis and J. Le Gallo, (2004) The evolution of regional productivity disparities in the European Union, 1975-2000. Proceedings of the 7th AGILE conference. Heraklion, Greece, April 2004.
11. Y. Kamarianakis, D. Kotzinos and P. Prastacos. (2004) Bivariate traffic relations: A space-time modeling approach. Proceedings of the 7th AGILE conference. Heraklion, Greece, April 2004. [2 (2)]
12. Y. Kamarianakis and J. Le Gallo (2004). The evolution of regional productivity disparities in the European Union, 1975-2000. A short version of that article in Greek lies at the Proceedings of the 3rd HELLASGIs Conference, National Polytechnic School of Athens. Athens, Greece, March 2004.
13. Y. Kamarianakis and P. Prastacos (2002) Forecasting traffic flow conditions in an urban network: Comparison of multivariate and univariate approaches. A short version of that paper lies at the Proceedings of the 13th Euro-Conference "Handling Uncertainty in the Analysis of Traffic and Transportation Systems". Bari Italy, June 2002.
14. Y. Kamarianakis and P. Prastacos, (2002) Space-time modeling of traffic flow. CD- ROM Proceedings of the European Regional Science Association Conference. Dortmund, Germany, August 2002.
15. Y. Kamarianakis and P. Prastacos, (2002) Development of space-time traffic flow models. CD ROM Proceedings of Second Hellenic Conference of GIS applications held in Athens (in Greek). Athens, Greece, February 2002.
Kamarianakis and N. Frangos (2002) Deterministic and Stochastic Differential
Equation Modeling for Electrical Networks in Lipitakis, Elias A. (ed.),
HERCMA 2001. Proceedings of the 5th Hellenic-European conference on computer
mathematics and its applications, 2 volumes.
17. D. Dermitzaki, F. Chaniotaki, O. Fraidaki, Y. Kamarianakis, A. Papaioannou and A. Askitopoulou (2001) ASA and severity of postoperative pain are prognostic factors for postoperative cardiovascular & respiratory complications. Proceedings of the Annual Meeting of the European Academy of Anaesthesiology 2001. Graz, Austria, August 2001.
18. Y. Kamarianakis and P. Prastacos (2001) Multivariate hierarchical Bayesian space-time models in economics. ETK-NTTS 2001 Proceedings New Techniques and Technologies for Statistics, pp. 503-514, Eurostat. Heraklion, Greece, July 2001. [1 (0)]
19. Y. Kamarianakis and P. Prastacos, (2001) Classification of the municipalities of Greece according to their socio-economic characteristics, in B. Kotzamanis and V. Pappas (eds) Spatial Dimensions of Demographic Events, pp. 187-208, (in Greek). Volos, Greece, April 2001.
OTHER PRESENTATIONS AT CONFERENCES, SEMINARS AND WORKSHOPS
World Conference on Transport Research,
International conference on Applied Stochastic Models and Data Analysis (ASMDA
of Economics Seminar,
conference in Applied Mathematics,
2006 conference of the European Regional Science Association,
Regional Science Association Meeting,
of Economics Seminar,
annual meeting of the Transportation Research Board,
Finance Conference. Institute Superior de Economia e Gestao,
Researchers Meeting, HellasGIs Association,
American Regional Science Association Conference,
15. Southern Regional Science Association Meeting, Louisville-Kentucky April 2003.
Economics Applications Lab Seminar,
17. XIIIe Journees du Sesame, Gemma Universite de Caen Basse-Normandie, September 2003.
annual meeting of the Transportation Research Board,
Workshop on Transportation Systems, Polytechnic
PARTICIPATION IN RESEARCH PROJECTS
o TRANSFER: Tsunami Risk ANd Strategies For the European Region. Funding Source: EC FP6 STREP.
o Responsible for the design of a Probabilistic Tsunami Hazard Assessment study for the island of Rhodes.
o LIAISON: LocatIon bAsed servIceS for the enhancement of wOrking environment. Funding Source: EU IST Program.
for the development and application of statistical models that estimate current
and forecast future travel times at the
o SATERM: A Satellite Technique for Estimating Rainfall over Mediterranean. Funding Source: Greek Ministry of Development, General Secretariat for Research and Technology.
o Responsible for the statistical evaluation of the Convective Stratiform Technique that is designed to estimate rainfall from satellite imagery and the performance of a Spatial Interpolation Comparison among various techniques.
o PRECIPITABLE WATER: Study on the spatial-temporal distribution of atmospheric water content with the combined use of satellite remote sensing and non-linear science. Funding Source: Greek Ministry of Development, General Secretariat for Research and Technology.
o Responsible for the evaluation of remotely sensed PW estimates via using robust regression techniques.
o EMPHIS: Euro-Mediterranean Public Health Information System. Funding Source: EU EUMEDIS Program.
Responsible for the estimation of spatial
statistical models for the evolution of Zoonotic Cutaneous Leishmaniasis in
LABOR MARKET: Analysis of the labor markets in
o Responsible for constructing a set of econometric/forecasting models for the Cretan economy.
Joint supervision (together with P. Prastacos) of the following Bachelor and Master’s theses:
[Number of papers in parentheses]
o Computational Statistics and Data Analysis
o European Journal of Operational Research (2)
o International Journal of Geographical Information Science
o International Journal of Remote Sensing
o International Regional Science Review
o Journal of Econometrics
o Quantitative Finance (2)
o Remote Sensing of Environment (3)
o Simulation Modeling Practice and Theory
o Statistica Neerlandica
o Transportation Research Part C (13)
o Transportation Research Record (2)
o University Hospital of Crete, department of Anesthesiology, 1999-2001
o Consulting services to individual medical doctors and biologists (see for example acknowledgments in Bolshakov et al, 2002, Genome Research)